The governing bodies of the Institute are the Director and the Scientific Board.
The Scientific Board exercises on-going supervision over current activities of the Institute, especially taking care of the high level of its research activity and development of people beginning their scientific career.
THE SCIENTIFIC BOARD IN PARTICULAR:
- identifies the profile of the Institute, taking into account the directions of development of the world of science,
- adopts the plan of research, cooperation with foreign research institutions and publishing activities,
- approves the reports on the activities of the Institute,
- assesses the scientific activity of research workers,
- conducts the review procedure for the academic title of doktor and doktor habilitowany and submits the request for conferment of the title as a part of its powers,
- gives its opinions on candidates for the post of the Deputy Scientific Director,
- gives its opinions on candidates for members of the National Science Centre Council and members of the Committee for the Evaluation of Research Units (Komitet Ewaluacji Jednostek Naukowych, KEJN),
- adopts the statutes of the Institute and its amendments,
- adopts the method and procedure of conducting competitions for particular research posts,
- appoints the disciplinary proceedings representative,
- submits candidates for the national members of the Polish Academy of Sciences,
- grants scientific awards of the Institute and submit candidates or gives its opinion on candidates for other scientific awards,
- supervises Ph.D. studies,
- adopts resolutions on other matters that are within the competences of the Scientific Council under the Act, the statutes of the Academy or the statutes of the Institute.