Professor Paolo Gasparini Memorial Day, Napoli
- On 25th November 2016, Professor Paolo Gasparini Memorial Day took place, following his sad passing on 28th July 2116. The ceremony was organized in Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II.
IS-EPOS Platform Workshop, Katowice
- On 22th November 2016, IS-EPOS Platform Workshop was held at University of Silesia in Katowice. Event was organized by Institute of Geophysics Polish Academy of Sciences and Academic Scientific Group "PREM". During workshop, participants had opportunity to explore the subject of induced seismicity in easy nad informative way.
III Science Conference, cycle: Construction - Infrastructure - Mining, Cracow
On 21st - 22nd November 2016, III Science Conference "Sustainable development of mining areas", from the cycle Construction - Infrastructure - Mining, took place. The event was held on Tadeusz Kościuszko Cracow University of Technology. Dr Dorota Olszewska and dr Janusz Mirek were representatives of Department of Seismology IG PAS. IS-EPOS platform was presented during conference and dr Janusz Mirek has shown LUMINEOS seismic network.
Earthquake in Japan
- On 21st November 2016, strong eaqrthquake with magnitude M6.9 struck near Japan coast. The event happened in close location to 2011 enormours M9.0 earthquake, which triggered powerful tsunami waves, reaching up to 40,5 m, and which caused almost 16.000 casualties. Present earthquake was located at the depth of 11 km under the bottom of the Pacific Ocean (closer to the Japan coast than 2011 event). Earthquake mechanism was a type of normal fault plane solution. 2011 event had reverse fault plane solution and was located deeper (30 km under the bottom of the ocean) and closer to the border of Pacific and North American Plates, which is subduction zone. Tectonics of Japan region is very complicated due to presence of 4 tectonic plates and very active tectonic subduction zone between two aforementioned plates. Pacific Plate is moving under North American Plate with velocity up to 9 cm / year. Additionaly, on the southern edge of Japan Region, there is place of collision of 3 tectonic plates, where 3 tectonic trenches intersect - The Boso Triple Junction. The name originated from the penisula on Honsiu Island, which closes Tokyo Bay from the east, separating it from the Pacific Ocean.
Earthquake in New Zealand
- On 13rd November 2016 at 11:02 UTC, earthquake with magnitude M7.8 struck in New Zealand. It was located 23 km beneath the surface of South Island and 90 km from largest city on the island - Christchurch. Mechanism of event corresponds with reverse fault with maximum displacement on the fault plane about 4 m and 200 km long rupture surface. Earthquake occurred in the southern edge of the Australian Plate; this region has very large seismic activity.
- In the region of New Zealand there is collision zone, which is boundary between Australian and Pacific Plates. Relative movement of Pacific Plate under Australian Plate is approximately 46 mm / year. South Island of New Zealand is located between two subduction zones and it is a transition zone between Hikurangi and Puysegur Trenches. Second one is a boudary, where Pacific Plate moves under Australian with velociy about 38 mm / year. Tectonics of region is complicated. Relative subduction velocities are rather big, therefore seismic acitivity is large and generates earthquakes with high magnitudes.
Epicenter location of earthquake in New Zealand and range of the ground motions (source: USGS).
Earthquakes in Italy
- 2 strong earthquakes struck central Italy on 26th and 30th October, 2016. First one, with magnitude 6.1 , took place 30 km from Amatrice - town previously hit by 6.1M earthquake on September this year. Epicentre of second tremor was located 6 km north from Norcia. Shown below are records of these events registered by PLSN (Polish Seismological Network):
- Interview with prof. Lasocki: http://tvnmeteo.tvn24.pl/informacje-pogoda/swiat,27/naukowcy-ostrzegaja-ze-moga-nastapic-kolejne-trzesienia-ziemi,215898,1,0.html
Committee of Geophysics PAS Meeting, Warsaw
- Special open meeting of Committee of Geophysics PAS, dedicated to the memory of prof. Adam Dziewoński, was held in Warsaw on 20th October 2016.
Adam Marian Dziewoński (November 15, 1936 – March 1, 2016) was a Polish-American geophysicist who made seminal contributions to the determination of the large-scale structure of the Earth's interior and the nature of earthquakes using seismological methods. He spent most of his career at Harvard University, where he was the Frank B. Baird, Jr. Professor of Science.
EPOS 2 Newsletter
Article about IS-EPOS platform
- Article: "IS-EPOS: digital research space to facilitate an integrated approach to induced seismicity" was published in newest bulletin of the Mineral and Energy Economy Intitute of the PAS. Authors of article are: prof. Stanisław Lasocki, prof. Beata Orlecka-Sikora, Ph.D. Konstantinos Leptokaropoulos, Ph.D. Grzegorz Lizurek, Ph.D. Mariusz Sterzel, Tomasz Szepieniec, prof. Grzegorz Mutke.
Inauguration of academic year 2016/2017, Warsaw
- 11th October 2016, 11:00 a.m., Warsaw - Inauguration of academic year 2016/2017 with presence of Alicja Caputa, newest doctoral student in Department of Seismology, IG PAS.
EPOS-IP meeting, Madrid
- On 5th - 7th October 2016, during IPC in Madrid, WP14 Splinter meeting was held. Crucial Legal & Governance and IPR issues were discussed.
Damian Kula, master's student under supervision of Ph.D. Dorota Olszewska awarded during GA ESC, Trieste
- Damian Kula, student of master's degree studies in Geophysics at University of Silesia in Katowice, currently preparing master's thesis under supervision of Ph.D. Dorota Olszewska in Institute of Geophysics PAS, was awarded during the 35th General Assembly of the European Seismological Commission (GA ESC) in Trieste, on 5th - 9th September 2016. His paper: Comparative analysis of ERT and seismic noise changes in time for purpose of active layer investigations gained award as a best student poster (http://www.esc-web.org).
Seminar 22st September 2016, 11:00 a.m., conference room, Warsaw
Seminar of Department of Seismology, Institute of Geophysics PAS, 22st September 2016, Warsaw - two presentations given by out respected guests from Greece:
- Prof. Vasilios Karakostas : "Recent strong earthquakes in central Ionian Islands ",
- Prof. Eleftheria Papadimitriou: “Evolutionary stress field and triggered seismicity”.
Defense of doctoral thesis of Maria Kozłowska, Warsaw
21st September 2016, Warsaw - public PhD defense of Maria Kozłowska from Department of Seismology IG PAS. Doctoral thesis: "Studying a possible inclusion of selected methods of estimating stress field changes and seismic activity to the analysis of anthropogenic seismic processes" was written under supervision of prof. Beata Orlecka-Sikora.
PhD thesis reviewers:
- Prof. Józef Dubiński, Central Mining Institute, Katowice
- Prof. Marco Bohnhoff, Freie Universität Berlin
There is possibility to get acquainted with mentioned doctoral dissertation in IG PAS Library (room 6, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.).
Prof. Stanisław Lasocki in Brussels
- Conference: ESFRI and national research infrastructures – current challenges from perspective of V4 countries took place o 13th August 2016, in Pernament Representation of the Republic of Poland to the European Union in Brusels. Representatives of science community and Ministry of Science and Higher Education discussed about challenges connected with development and financing of science infrastructure in Europe: Jak wzmacniać infrastrukturę badań? Dyskusja w SP RP.
- Prof. Stanisław Lasocki, Head of Department of Seismology IG PAS, gave presentation: Integrated approach to geophysical hazards induced by exploration and exploitation of georesources – to facilitate the way of attaining excellence.
North Korean nuclear test
- The government of North Korea conducted his fifth nuclear test on 9th September 2016. The detonation induced large manmade earthquake - United States Geological Survey (USGS) reported that earthquake occured on 9:30 a.m. (local time) and had magnitude 5.3 in Richter scale. The video footage containing interview with prof. Stanisław Lasocki: http://wiadomosci.tvp.pl/26620356/09092016-1930 (23:37 min)
European Seismological Commission 2016, Trieste
- Strong representation of Department of Seismology IG PAS was present during the 35rd General Assembly of the European Seismological Commission (GA ESC) in Trieste, on 4th - 10th September 2016.
Anthropogenic Seismicity Workshop, Nancy
- On 1st - 2nd September 2016, Anthropogenic Seismicity Workshop took place in Campus ARTEM, School of Mines, Nancy, France. TCS-AH platform was presented and prof. Stanisław Lasocki gave two presentations:
Integrated approach to geophysical hazards induced by exploration and exploitation of georesources - to facilitate the way of attaining excellence
Probabilistic Analysis of The Time-varyingHazard Dueto AnthropogenicSeismicity – How we do itin WP14 (TCS AH) of EPOS
EPOS-IP WP14 meeting, Nancy
- On 30th - 31st August 2016, EPOS-IP WP14 meeting was organized in Campus ATREM School of Mines, Nancy, France, to discuss work progress within the project, legal issues necessary for further project realisation and plans for future. Institute of Geophysics, PAS, and School of Mines in France were co-organisers of meeting
SHEER 3 Newsletter
Strong earthquake in Italy
- Almost 300 people died in effect of large earthquake with magnitude 6.2 in Richter scale, which occured 24th August 2016 at 03:36 (01:36 UTC). Prof. Stanisław Lasocki in interview for TVN about aftershocks: http://tvnmeteo.tvn24.pl/informacje-pogoda/swiat,27/pojawiaja-sie-wstrzasy-wtorne-ale-o-mniejszej-magnitudzie,209808,1,0.html.
- Prof. Beata Orlecka-Sikora anwers question about predicting earthquakes in radio interview for Jedynka: http://www.polskieradio.pl/7/5347/Artykul/1659330,Czy-naukowcy-moga-przewidziec-trzesienie-ziemi.
EPOS 1 Newsletter
- Ph.D. Janusz Mirek and Ph.D. Jan Wiszniowski travelled to Quang Nam province in Vietnam in order to modernize and extend VERIS seismic network.
LACSC, Costa Rica
- On 20th - 22nd June 2016, in San José (Costa Rica), The Latin America and Caribbean Seismological Commission (LACSC) 2nd Regional Accembly was held. Participants of this conference were prof. Beata Orlecka-Sikora and prof. Stanisław Lasocki.
Ph.D. Grzegorz Lizurek talks to Karolina Głowacka on TOK FM radio about SHEER project
People can cause earthquakes. How is this possible? Ph.D. Grzegorz Lizurek explains this phenomena during radio interview with Karolina Głowacka: http://audycje.tokfm.pl/odcinek/Ludzie-potrafia-powodowac-trzesienia-ziemi-Jak-to-mozliwe-Wyjasnia-dr-Grzegorz-Lizurek-w-rozmowie-z-Karolina-Glowacka/38854
Popular scientific article, written by Ph.D. Grzegorz Lizurek, published by portal Science Online
- In the newest issue of magazine ACADEMIA Ph.D. Grzegorz Lizurek writes about earthquakes induced by human impact on inner structure of rocks: http://www.naukaonline.pl/nasze-teksty/nauki-o-ziemi/item/2817-wzburzenie-skal
First SHEER Annual meeting, Naples
- On 7-9 June, 2016 in Napoli took place SHEER First Annual Meeting. Department of Seismology IG PAS was represented by: prof. Beata Orlecka-Sikora, prof. Stanislaw Lasocki, Ph.D. Dorota Olszewska, Ph.D. Grzegorz Lizurek, Monika Staszek and Anna Lisowska. Leaders of WP2 (prof. Beata Orlecka-Sikora) and WP3 (prof. Stanisław Lasocki) lead respective parts of meeting, summarizing all activities within packages.
Applied Geophysics scientific symposium, Gdańsk
- Applied Geophysics scientific symposium was held on 1st - 3rd March 2016 in Gdańsk. Main topics of conference were: Geophysical Methods for Civil and Industrial Construction Applications, Mining Geophysics Engineering, Environmental Geophysics. During symposium Ph.D. Grzegorz Lizurek presented capabilities of IS-EPOS platform and gave presentation: "IS-EPOS: a digital research space to facilitate integrated approach to induced seismicity".
- Prof. Henryk Marcak presented: "Phase change between the reflected and refracted waves in GPR measurements of ground wave"
Seminar, 31st May 2016, 2:00 p.m., conference room, Cracow
- Szymon Cielesta: The effect of intermediate principal stress (sigma2) on seismicity in mine.
SHEER 2 Newsletter
Seminar, 27th April 2016, 11:00 a.m., conference room, Cracow
- Monika Staszek: Evaluation of static stress drop influence on seismicity distribution at The Geysers geothermal area.
- Ph.D. Łukasz Rudziński, Maria Kozłowska and Alicja Caputa participated in European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2016, which took place in Vienna on 17th - 22nd April 2016.
Seminar, 5th April 2016, 11:00 a.m., conference room, Cracow
Maria Kozłowska: Investigating untypical seismicity distribution in Upper Silesia hard coal mine - insight into natural, human-induced and coseismic stress change.
Seminar, 29th February 2016, 12:00 p.m., conference room, Cracow
- Prof. Henryk Marcak: Use of Seismic Interferometry for Assessment of the Environment Risk Related to Exploitation of Shale Gas.
Nanometrics measuring units training course, Cracow
- On 2nd - 3rd February 2016, Nanometrics measuring units training course took place in the Department of Seismology, IG PAS, Cracow. Training was lead by Robert Statham, canadian representative of Nanometrics.
Seminar, 27th January 2016, 3:00 p.m., room 213, Warsaw
- Ph.D. Konstantinos Leptokaropoulos, Szymon Cielesta, Monika Staszek: Characteristics of seismicity related to hydro-fracturing. Review and Case Studies.
2015 summary meeting, Warsaw
- On 29th January 2016, during meeting summarizing 2015 year in Warsaw, Ph.D. Łukasz Rudziński presented accomplishments of Department of Seismology in the field of statutory activities.
SHEER 1 Newsletter
Sucess of IS-EPOS project appreciated in Europe
- Project RICH 2020 (Research Infrastructures Consortium for Horizon 2020). the European Network of National Contact Points (NCPs) for Research Infrastructures in Horizon 2020, facilitates transnational cooperation between NCPs, promotes the effective implementation of the RI programme, supports transnational and virtual access to RIs and highlights the opportunities offered by Research Infrastructures - at the European and international level. Integrated approach to geophysical hazards induced by exploration and exploitation of georesources to facilitate the way of attaining excellence, prof.Stanisław Lasocki and prof. Beata Orlecka-Sikora, Institute of Geophysics, PAS.